Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Searchsets with ID's

Recently I was asked why does Navisworks list certain property values several times? I know that it does but somehow in my workflow it has never bothered me. Or I never took the time to sort of find out what is happening.

When I was asked about it, I knew that the person was using Revit files made by different years of Revit. I started creating some simple files in Revit 2014, 2015 and 2016. Created the nwc out of Revit and appended those to Navisworks. But it's not the different file versions that create this in Navisworks.

The issue I am describing is when you are in the Find Items window ( in Navisworks) and you are creating a searchset. Notice the double Base levels at #4 (and all the others) If you would select one of the Base Level and add the condition: Equals than the values might be different than what you expect.
If you go to the selection tree and switch that one to the properties --> goto element --> Base Level. You will see that these properties include the Revit ID of the element. Quiet some years ago when I started creating searchsets in Notepath++ I noticed those ID's as well. If you want to create searchsets that work over multiple projects you have to stay away from searchsets that have an ID included. 

Most of the time you can find exactly what you want but look at other properties.
When I am creating searchsets I tend to do the following.
  1. Select the element you want
  2. Look at it's properties
  3. Look at the different tabs to find a property you can use
  4. If you didn't find what you want browse up and down the selection tree until you do.
In the next image you see that the property base constraint has an ID in the value field. If I need to find elements by base constraint I would not use this in the find items window. 
Notice that there are many property tabs for this element. I would browse all the tabs to see what other properties there are that don't have that ID. In this case it's easy and there is a tab called base constraint that has a property field; level and a value without an ID. I would use that one. 

The searchset would look like this. 
There are quite a few other peculiarities when you append Revit files made in different years (versions) I'll try to blog about those later.

Google+ Badge