Friday, 23 May 2014

helpers

Recently I had to export a Navisworks model to 3D studio max for rendering. We were exporting it to an fbx which then became incredibly big. First we tried to link the file but soon we had to import it. This became a lot of fun... After a night of importing the model, I found the computer and it had finished it. I took a look at the taskmanager from Windows... I had managed to use all the available ram :)
I saved the file and it became a 2.1 gb max file. (yes gigabyte)
Experimenting earlier with imported fbx files in max learned that fbx files tend to create a lot of helpers. (see image)

After deleting all these helpers the file was only 141 mb big. I have yet to find out what these helpers are for but they are not helping me.

Creating the fbx from Navisworks is also a time consuming chore. I tried to make it less heavy by turning of the lines.
A nice colleague showed me this program called deep exploration that is excellent at converting all kind of 3D formats to anything else. We had a try with creating a 3d dwf file from Navisworks and convert that to a 3ds file (if you have max installed it will let you convert to max as well.) This does work faster but it seem to have trouble with really big dwf files. 

In max I played a little bit with the settings of importing an fbx but it did not help me a whole lot. It would be nice if there were export settings in Navisworks for fbx that would let me exclude the helpers. If I find better ways I will update this post or if you have good suggestions please let me know!

Update:
Let's see what would happen if I try to import the fbx file into Autocad. It's still busy but I got this screen some time during the import.
I like the idea that every object would get it's own material.... :)
I don't think I will make use of this data route.




Google+ Badge