Friday, 6 July 2012

Mass Modelling

A little while ago I was trying to recreate a simplified model of a project from long ago. It has been build differently as it has been designed then but for my experiment I used the old idea. I build a massmodel to get control over the design and see what I can flex and how it reacts.

When building that model I ran into all kind of bumps when it comes down to creating adaptive components. This blog is about trying to make sense of what happens. I often had trouble with the orientation of families placed upon a mass divided surface.

I promised myself I would fine a way to sort of find out what does what when and where.

To start of with I have created four masses. I will select the top surfaces, divide those and place an adaptive component family on the nodes of the divided. 
The goal is to get a grip on how a family is placed upon a divided surface. In a previous model it often confused me as of how things where placed. Important for this test is the UCS every surface has. I have created a adaptive component family. 
First to understand the adaptive component family template I have imported a small Autocad drawing origin to origin.
This tells me that the intersection of the two reference planes is at 0,0. It's not going to matter much but it's nice to know. Also the arrows indicate the positive x axis (red) and positive y axis (green) I have added an adaptive point and I create a simple box. See image
I have created this box as follows: Along the pos. X axis the box is 600mm long, along the pos. Y axis the box is 300mm, along the pos. Z axis the box is 900mm. Notice the adaptive point and it's position. Next I have placed the family on top of the nodes of the surface. 
I have placed them without rotating. The interesting part here is that the family seems to get placed differently on surfaces when you look at the orientation of the family and the orientation of the surface local coordinate system.
Look at the first image of the blog and notice that the family seems orientated differently than expected.


Next I will try what effect changing the properties of the adaptive point in the family will do.
these ones:
Some will be obvious but some have suprised me before. Some of the settings might not have any effect because of the way I have drawn the box.
Reading up on adaptive points I could not always understand the examples

For the family and the masses I have created, only the setting: ortho on placement and vertical in family have an effect. Which means I have to devise other families to get the other to work. The good thing is that both settings seem to respect the project coordinate system of the revit project file.
This means that with these adaptive point settings you have influence on how the family is oriented in the project regardless of the orientation of the divided surface of the mass. The next image demonstrates that. Take a good look at the view cube! The family xyz axis are oriented to the project  project coordinate system.
In the next post I am going to explore some more into the adaptive components. I have some stuf to sort out with an adaptive beam.

At some point I will also post the model I was trying to build in the first place

Disclaimer information
http://danielgijsbers.blogspot.com/2012/08/disclaimer.html

Google+ Badge