Friday, 15 July 2011

Photofly (123catch) to Revit

Recently I have been tinkering with Photofly. Nowaday called 123catch The cool thing is that you can get your photoscene into Revit 2012. So I decided to go to an old part of Dordrecht and try to capture a scene and see how I can fit in a new building.




the Photofly scene












Photofly can export to several file formats.
  • dwg but that doesn't seem to work atm
  • obj very usable to get your data into 3D studio
  • las this is a point cloud format ( Revit can turn this into a pcg)
  • rzi format is used by the Autodesk Image Modeler and the Photo Scene Editor for Project Photofly.
Revit will create a pcg file from a las. Next you have to insert the pcg file. When you insert the pcg Revit will ask you how to import. I defined a world coordinate system in Photofly so I imported origin to origin. This doesn't seem to work just yet.

Unfortunately Revit can't import fbx files just yet...
The realy nice thing from Revit 2012 is that it will let me recognize surfaces in the pointcloud. 


Next I am using the pointcloud to approximate the location of the floors extends. (purple lines)


and the finished floor ofcourse

Next I add some more building elements. While modelling in Revit I can check the neighboring house whether the design will aesthetically fit in it's surroundings. With only measuring 1 thing and shooting a whole lot of pictures I think I could already make an estimate of square meters with a margin of 5 to 10% accuracy. 


See the video's I created from the scene








Google+ Badge